Friday, July 13, 2007
No one probably knew I was gone, since I don't update every day, but I have been without phone service (and therefore internet connection) for two days and cut off from the world. *insert long, fading scream here*
I was able to get on a computer at a local coffee shop just to email my children that they shouldn't bother to call home or expect any emails from us until the phone service was restored. It turned out to be a "cut cable" and a lot of people were affected-- that's what the guy in the phone truck said to James this afternoon.
It was so weird to be without the internet: no newspaper articles, no correspondence... we got World magazine in the mail and I was inordinately thrilled!
The children and I went to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix today! I liked it. It was plenty of fun despite the fact that they had to leave fifty million things out of it. Order of the Phoenix is the longest of the Harry Potter books, so many things were left out and other moments altered to simplify the story into a movie-manageable plot. So many characters that we've come to love were given very little screen time, but I think the director was being very kind to put some of them in at all, because he could have worked the plot out without them- Percy Weasley, the Patil twins, Dean Thomas, Prof. Flitwick... The only real complaint I can think of is that Mrs. Figg is not at all "batty", quite composed really.
I was able to get on a computer at a local coffee shop just to email my children that they shouldn't bother to call home or expect any emails from us until the phone service was restored. It turned out to be a "cut cable" and a lot of people were affected-- that's what the guy in the phone truck said to James this afternoon.
It was so weird to be without the internet: no newspaper articles, no correspondence... we got World magazine in the mail and I was inordinately thrilled!
The children and I went to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix today! I liked it. It was plenty of fun despite the fact that they had to leave fifty million things out of it. Order of the Phoenix is the longest of the Harry Potter books, so many things were left out and other moments altered to simplify the story into a movie-manageable plot. So many characters that we've come to love were given very little screen time, but I think the director was being very kind to put some of them in at all, because he could have worked the plot out without them- Percy Weasley, the Patil twins, Dean Thomas, Prof. Flitwick... The only real complaint I can think of is that Mrs. Figg is not at all "batty", quite composed really.