Wednesday, May 17, 2006
I drew up a summer schedule for the family. It must include lessons since I took off a month to go to Taiwan/Kinmen. Still, it looks fun to me! I allow an hour computer time for each of the younger six children-- the older children can grab it wheneverly; we can't figure them into the schedule because of fluctuating work schedules.
This fall I may have to drop computer time altogether for a limited time (say the whole first semester!) because it makes doing anything together just about impossible. You should see it mapped out on the family schedule; it creates a huge slash across every day to give time on the computer to six children and a mom. And that is just "free time" to play on the computer when I'm reffering to the children's times, usually only a half-hour each. The computer is needed for research on different assignments, correspondence with family and friends, contacts and planning, (Picture all of the home-schoolers in Rogers County if we couldn't coordinate through email-- we'd spend all of our waking hours on phone trees or just forget the whole thing.) typing lessons, foreign language lessons... It is beginning to look like we need to buy several computers in order to establish more open time in the schedule to be together for several unit studies, bible reading, and just plain conversation!
Now the hurdles are finding the money, the desk space, and convincing the computer-phobic hubby. Oh dear...
This fall I may have to drop computer time altogether for a limited time (say the whole first semester!) because it makes doing anything together just about impossible. You should see it mapped out on the family schedule; it creates a huge slash across every day to give time on the computer to six children and a mom. And that is just "free time" to play on the computer when I'm reffering to the children's times, usually only a half-hour each. The computer is needed for research on different assignments, correspondence with family and friends, contacts and planning, (Picture all of the home-schoolers in Rogers County if we couldn't coordinate through email-- we'd spend all of our waking hours on phone trees or just forget the whole thing.) typing lessons, foreign language lessons... It is beginning to look like we need to buy several computers in order to establish more open time in the schedule to be together for several unit studies, bible reading, and just plain conversation!
Now the hurdles are finding the money, the desk space, and convincing the computer-phobic hubby. Oh dear...