Tuesday, April 11, 2006
Soup, April 2nd email

Dear Everybody,
Soup is served here with every meal I've had, so far. It makes sense that they don't tend have anything to drink during their meals. The soup is very watery, what's known as clear soup, so it "subs" for a drink at mealtime.
Samuel likes the various soups. I don't know why that surprised me. I've liked them and really loved a few. The seaweed soup that we had just last night at Monkey's parent's place was delicious. The soup Mrs. Chen made for our family treatment was the best ever. It had a thicker broth than the others, probably taro, but a lot like our potato soup with a wider variety of ingredients.
Most soups have a slight fish taste to them, so I can assume they have some fish broth, but not much. I have looked through the soup in my bowl at each meal to try and determine what all it is made of. There are teeny, tiny bits of just about everything floating in a slightly-less-than-clear broth. It is different at every shop, so I know they aren't buying it canned or powdered or something, or they would all be alike. Still, each potful has so many different little things in it-- specks of shrimp parts, flakes of fish meat, dots of onion, flecks of carrot, lots of other veggies-- that you'd have to make it in a 500 gallon vat to make up a batch of such thin soup dicing up your own ingredients at each store. You know what I mean? So I think I have determined where they get this stuff:
It's actually the dishwater.
To provide some variety they add a little something in the bottom of the bowl or maybe something that floats. Very decorative. I know what this various stuff is, but I'll place in parentheses what Samuel calls each thing. The most common soup is dishwater with mopstrings(noodles), or they include chunks of cleaning sponge (fish ball). There is also dishwater with shredded Kleenex (onion), or phlegm in a seashell (clam).
Maybe we could develop American varieties: green scrubber pad, broom straws or those big, colorful face washing blobs they sell atWal-Mart. Now there's a winner!
Love y'all more than air!
Mama