Tuesday, April 11, 2006

 

March 31st email

Dear Everyone,
We ate lunch with the 905 class today. It was fun. Samuel and I bought a lunch in town and brought it into the classroom to sit with the kids. Junior high is so different-- no one yelled in my face, BUT they were all less likely to come forward and speak to me at all. They worried about their English whereas the little kids don't, they don't know enough English yet to worry about communicating at all.
It is the rainy season here. The air is humid, and my hair is approximately the size of a moped. Just imagine me here-- I am FATTER than anyone else on the island, I am WHITE and have "round" eyes, I wear a HUNTER ORANGE jacket most of the time, and I have long, wavy, BIG hair!!!! But, you know, I haven't heard Samuel mention that anyone says I'm scary. People with blue eyes are considered a bit scary. I'm thankful God let me skip being scary.
I like seeing animals in the stores here. They are well-behaved. Oddly enough, the cats look dirty. I wonder why that is.
Most of the cars here are Japanese-- no big surprise. They have lots of Hondas and Toyotas, Hyundai, Daiatsu and Mitsubishis, but I am amazed to see a good number of Fords. I pointed out to Samuel outside of the elementary school where we were yesterday 3 Ford cars in a short line-up of vehicles parked there. I haven't noticed any other American brand of car. I have seen two Mercedes, three Volkswagens and one Volvo.
In the U.S. many products are protected from foreign competition; which is not good. Here there are German, Swiss, American and Italian candies on the shelves at the stores right along with Taiwanese ones. It's a treat to see a Toblerone for the same price as a Snickers bar or bag of M&Ms.
The ants are back. They had been gone awhile (since before I arrived) and the team was wondering the other day when they would show up again. Well, they arrived yesterday, and today they are in our room. I'm going to spray for them this evening.
Love y'all soooo much!
Praying for your Calculus test, Bonnie!
Mama

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?