Tuesday, April 11, 2006
April 4th email
Dear Everybody,
I have to try and get this written before Samuel finishes brushing his teeth and making phone calls, because he needs to use the computer, too.
Santy, a girl from Indonesia who sings in the choir at church, sends greetings to BJ.
Medicine from the doctor that Samuel used on his Thai rash (the rash he got in Thailand) came in such a cutesy little container I figured it was lip balm for little kids or something-- not a prescription! Our American prescriptions are obviously dull beyond measure.
I like the panelling at Lucy's: rectangles of finished wood laid like brickwork. The ceiling is also beautiful: squares of the same wood set into those 2X2 grids used for acoustic ceiling tile.
Monday when we had taught 4 classes and were having lunch with Claudia's class I taught Claudia "Her first nurse works early." She thought that was very useful.
After school we took the ferry to Little Kinmen and visited with Samuel's former students at the junior high. One class was cooking outdoors over open fires out past the track area. That was fun. I was very sleepy, so I'm sure I was not much fun to be with, but I had a good time. Various rooms in the buildings have been rearranged since a new building was added. Samuel took me to the teacher's lounge to see some people, and we ended up walking into a room full of ping pong tables! His face was so funny. :) So, we wandered around a bit more than he'd planned in order to find the students and teachers he wanted to see. The principal nabbed us and had us in for tea and peanut candy in his new teacher's conference room right off his office. Very nice. His assistant turned out to be the man who taught the 8th grade students the lion dance that Samuel was so extremely impressed with last year. The principal bragged for his co-worker, letting us know that that group went to Taiwan and won 2nd place in a national competition!!Outside the foremost school building a poster or, really, a small billboard, has been put up that has wonderful photos of all these activities that Samuel recognized: graduation last year, the lion dancers, the English camp he, Bonnie, Rebecka and Lucas did. I took a picture.
Leaving Little Kinmen at 4pm I saw the coastline for the first time. It has been overcast almost every minute I've been here, and I'd managed to go to the seaside 4 different times-- and even taken the ferry-- without seeing any coastline across the water! Saw the powerplant, Dad. Ginger finally got to take off for Taiwan.
Samuel needs the computer. I hope to write later about what we did today.
Love y'all more than air!
Mama
I have to try and get this written before Samuel finishes brushing his teeth and making phone calls, because he needs to use the computer, too.
Santy, a girl from Indonesia who sings in the choir at church, sends greetings to BJ.
Medicine from the doctor that Samuel used on his Thai rash (the rash he got in Thailand) came in such a cutesy little container I figured it was lip balm for little kids or something-- not a prescription! Our American prescriptions are obviously dull beyond measure.
I like the panelling at Lucy's: rectangles of finished wood laid like brickwork. The ceiling is also beautiful: squares of the same wood set into those 2X2 grids used for acoustic ceiling tile.
Monday when we had taught 4 classes and were having lunch with Claudia's class I taught Claudia "Her first nurse works early." She thought that was very useful.
After school we took the ferry to Little Kinmen and visited with Samuel's former students at the junior high. One class was cooking outdoors over open fires out past the track area. That was fun. I was very sleepy, so I'm sure I was not much fun to be with, but I had a good time. Various rooms in the buildings have been rearranged since a new building was added. Samuel took me to the teacher's lounge to see some people, and we ended up walking into a room full of ping pong tables! His face was so funny. :) So, we wandered around a bit more than he'd planned in order to find the students and teachers he wanted to see. The principal nabbed us and had us in for tea and peanut candy in his new teacher's conference room right off his office. Very nice. His assistant turned out to be the man who taught the 8th grade students the lion dance that Samuel was so extremely impressed with last year. The principal bragged for his co-worker, letting us know that that group went to Taiwan and won 2nd place in a national competition!!Outside the foremost school building a poster or, really, a small billboard, has been put up that has wonderful photos of all these activities that Samuel recognized: graduation last year, the lion dancers, the English camp he, Bonnie, Rebecka and Lucas did. I took a picture.
Leaving Little Kinmen at 4pm I saw the coastline for the first time. It has been overcast almost every minute I've been here, and I'd managed to go to the seaside 4 different times-- and even taken the ferry-- without seeing any coastline across the water! Saw the powerplant, Dad. Ginger finally got to take off for Taiwan.
Samuel needs the computer. I hope to write later about what we did today.
Love y'all more than air!
Mama